There are many surprising and not-so-surprising foods that are bad for your teeth. But what are some foods that are surprisingly good for your teeth? Despite what you might think, these five foods can actually help improve your oral health and brighten your smile.
• Dark Chocolate: Chocolate has always been the patron saint of cavities, but dark chocolate is actually a great snack for your teeth. Dark chocolate has many properties that improve your smile. Not only does it contain tannins, antioxidants that prevent bacteria from forming, but it also neutralizes bad breath microorganisms and contains the chemical compound theobrimine, which can harden tooth enamel. Dark chocolate also contains minimal sugar.
• Cheese: With more than 99 percent of all calcium in the body stored in your bones and teeth, it’s no wonder that products high in calcium would be good for your teeth. Cheese is an excellent source of calcium, and it is also able to raise the pH of your mouth to perfect levels.
• Artificial sweetener: Who knew artificial sweetener could actually be good for your teeth! Artificial sweetener in sugar-free gum promotes salivating, which washes away the acids produced by bacteria.
• Kale: Not only does kale contain loads of calcium, it also requires a lot of chewing, which generates saliva and scrubs your teeth like a car wash.
• Strawberries: Strawberries may be red in color but they contain malic acid, which acts as a natural enamel whitener.
With these five foods as part of your daily diet, you can improve your oral health and keep that smile beautifully bright.